Call of Duty: Ghosts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Call of Duty: Ghosts|
North American boxart
Treyarch (Wii U version)
|Series||Call of Duty|
|Release date(s)||Microsoft Windows,PlayStation 3, Wii U & Xbox 360|
November 5, 2013
November 22, 2013
Call of Duty: Ghosts is an upcoming first person shooter video game from Activision to be the tenth main installment in the Call of Duty series, and the sixth developed by Infinity Ward. The game is to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Wii U, and Xbox 360 on November 5, 2013, and will be published in Japan by Square Enix on November 14, 2013.
Ghosts will also be the first Call of Duty game available on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as launch titles for both consoles on November 15, 2013 and November 22, 2013 respectively.
As confirmed in the behind-the-scenes video released by Call of Duty, the multiplayer in Call of Duty: Ghosts will not be like the previous Call of Duty games.[how?] New mechanics have been added to the multiplayer. Maps now have areas that can be altered or destroyed. On certain maps, there is a Nuke-like killstreak that can be used by killing the top player on the other team and then completing various challenges after picking up a briefcase that is dropped. The sniper-rifle scopes will also have new "dual render technology" allowing the player to see around the outside of the scope when zoomed in. On October 3, a new multiplayer type was revealed, called Squads. This features a squad that you build and you can face other squads around the world. Your squad can be leveled up and will act like a true individual. There have been six confirmed maps so far. "Strikezone", "Octane", "Whiteout", "Stonehaven" and "Chasm" are the five confirmed maps that are in Call of Duty: Ghosts so far. The dynamic map, "Free Fall", is a pre-order bonus.
Multiplayer Game Modes
Call of Duty: Ghosts brings back a number of fan-favorite modes, while introducing seven new game types, including:
- Search and Rescue: A take on Search & Destroy, but rather than having a single life per round, in Search & Rescue your team can revive you. It combines that teamwork and communication from Kill Confirmed with the objective-based cooperation of Search & Destroy.
- Cranked: A TDM variant, when players kill someone they become "cranked"; players have to get a kill in 30 seconds or they will explode. Upon each kill the timer resets.
- Free for all: The classic gamemode from previous installments in the franchise returns in Call of Duty: Ghosts where players must rack up a total of 30 kills to win the game against 7 other opponents or rack up to most kills in a 10 minute time limit.
- Team Deathmatch: Team Deathmatch returns in Call of Duty: Ghosts: two teams, 10 minutes, 75 kill limit.
- Search and Destroy: A gamemode where one side has 5 minutes to plant a bomb at a choice of two sites and the other team is tasked with defending the sites, the catch of this mode is there are no respawns and the game ends once one team wins 4 rounds.
- Domination: A gamemode where three flags are scattered throughout the map for players to take and control, every 2 seconds a flag with gain you a point, if you control two or three flags you gain 2 or 3 points, first team to 200 points or the team with the highest amount of points after 10 minutes wins.
- Kill Confirmed: A gamemode where two teams battle it at similar to TDM, the catch is that when you kill an enemy they drop a dog tag, the way you score points is by collecting your fallen foes dog tags, if you collect a fallen teammates dog tag, no points are award to the enemy team, first team to 100 points wins the game.
- Infected: Same as Modern Warfare 3 infected
- Grind: No Information
- Blitz: No Information
- Hunted: No Information
- Extinction: No Information
Call of Duty: Ghosts takes place in a near future following an attack from space via kinetic bombardment that changed the global balance of powers in the world. As a result, many of the great powers were devastated and the United States does not exist as a superpower anymore. Its industries and infrastructures were decimated, and the mainland is reduced to a vulnerable, developing country. Ten years later, a new superpower called the "Federation" (which consists of many South American countries unified under one rule) invades the United States, overwhelming the crippled military and occupying many states, but remnants of U.S. special operation forces from every branch including retired US Army Capitain Elias Walker (Stephen Lang), his sons Logan and David, and SEALS commander Merrick came together to create a specialized unit called the "Ghosts", an elite paramilitary group of soldiers who are capable of waging guerrilla warfare, clandestine operations, and raids behind enemy lines to eradicate all threats in order to protect what remains of the United States and destroy the federation and expel them from the country they call home.
On February 7, 2013, Activision confirmed that a new Call of Duty game was in development and would be released Q4, 2013. The publisher expects poorer performance than previous entry Call of Duty: Black Ops II on seventh generation consoles (PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) due to the transition to next-generation consoles.
The series starts a new subseries with Ghosts to coincide with Sony and Microsoft's eighth generation consoles entering the market. The game will debut an engine built by the developer, originally described as a new engine, but later clarified to be the same engine as used in previous games with "significant" upgrades.
On April 29, 2013, the official Call of Duty website was updated with a social media mosaic that filled up every time a user logged into the site via Twitter or Facebook. The next day, the mosaic was completed and the picture showed a skull along the text "the Ghosts are real." Some details about Ghosts leaked prior, especially when Tesco pulled the listing of the game for thePlayStation 3 after it was put up accidentally. Several other retailers, including Target, listed it for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The live-action teaser trailer for Ghosts, titled "Masked Warriors", features glimpses of people wearing historical battle masks, among them one of a group of soldiers putting on the skull mask shown on the box art. It was released on May 1, 2013.Ghosts appeared at the "Xbox Reveal" event on May 21, 2013.
Ghosts features the following actors: Stephen Lang voices Elias Walker; and Brandon Routh and Kevin Gage voice other characters, in the game.
Pre-ordered versions of the game will include a bonus "dynamic" map called Free Fall and also get Simon ("Ghost") Riley from Modern Warfare 2 as a playable multiplayer character. In some markets this content is exclusive to certain retailers. However, Free Fall is excluded from the Wii U pre-ordered version.